Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Swim-Life Resolutions

Like many people, I have been riveted by the writing of Chris DeSantis over at the Swim Brief over the last few days.  He has had a remarkable week, during which he has interviewed the USA Swimming chief, Chuck Wielgus, and revealed some very personal history.  I think he is making a great impact on the future of swimming in our country.

Making a difference is something, in which, we should all endeavor.  I know I have coached thousands of kids over the last 20 years.  I have worked hard to provide more swimming opportunities to kids in my community.  However, I find myself wondering if it is enough.  Perhaps "my community" needs to include more people, or geographical area.

It is the time of year to be making resolutions.  I did  pretty well on last year's (I miss you madly Taco Bell, McDonald's, etc).  This year's resolutions will be with a design to have more of an impact on the world around me.

USA Swimming:

After last summer, I found myself frustrated with USA Swimming's leadership, rules, and decisions.  I vented long and often on this blog.  I vowed to be involved, and I even went to the USA Swimming convention in Jacksonville.  I submitted an application to be even more involved by requesting a committee position.  While the committee appointment was not granted by President Stratton, I vowed to continue my participation.

I will continue to work hard for my LSC as the Admin Vice-Chair, and I plan to attend the convention again.  I will do my best to stay abreast of the work the committees are doing, and I will again attempt to a contributor to the committee process, by throwing my name into the hat next fall.

American Swim Coaches Association:

I am a life+ member of ASCA, and it is probably time for me to become more involved in that organization.  I am not a fan of the leadership of my organization.  I resolve to get more involved in the business of ASCA, and it's influence on USA Swimming.  I must admit that I am very ignorant about "my" organization, but I will try to be more involved.

Blogging:

I resolve to tone down my rhetoric and hot headed postings.  When I read from bloggers like those at the Swim Brief and the SCAQ blog, I am impressed.  I am impressed at the tone they set and influence they have.  We need more of them.

I will continue to write about the things that niggle at me, but I will not allow myself to blog and come off sounding like a member of the fringe of USA Swimming society.  I vow to do more research and come at the topics from a more powerful position.  I know that we need change.  I will be a part of the solution.

I will address issues about USA Swimming, Athlete Protection, ASCA, etc with a constructive tone.  I will avoid the rantings of the previous year.


I am resolved

No comments:

Post a Comment